Le Chye

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ice-creams have to melt

More than a few times since I laid my signature above the dotted line, I have imagined my life as a teacher.

Most of the scenarios I have pictured in my head are GTO-inspired. I am given a class that is notorious for being difficult to handle. Throughout the year, I kick some asses and knock a few heads. Eventually, all the students come into their senses and everyone graduates with memorable memories, stepping out of the school gate for the last time but not before all crowding around me, throwing me into the air 3 times as if I am the one graduating and not them, and shouting 'Ole! Ole! Ole!' to the rhythm of the throws.

I know that many of the scenarios that I have imagined are unlikely to happen - I am not going to kick asses nor knock heads - and more often than not, teachers end up being disillusioned when the teaching begins.

However, if I do ever become a teacher with a class who will shed some tears when they are graduating because they won't be seeing me again every single weekday thereafter, I have already thought of what I will be saying to them on the last day. I will give them each a stick of ice-cream and say to them,

'Ice-creams won't taste as good if they don't melt, just like our times together won't be as memorable if it did not have to end.'

And then, as the ice-cream melts in my mouth and in my hand, I will know that I was lucky to have put my signature above that dotted line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home